Sunday, August 16, 2015

twenty-nine


Dollars.

That's about all I'm prepared to spend these days on an iron. Not that I haven't purchased more expensive ones but they just don't perform. They would leak. They wouldn't steam. The cords weren't long enough. They would spurt dirty brown spots all over the clothes.

Besides, they all seem to be made in an overseas country these days and quite probably in the same factory.

This one seems okay - so far.

Didn't have a lot of time to spend sewing this weekend and as the machine was already set up with black thread, I did some more work on the charity quilt.


Getting to the tricky part joining larger pieces with 1" and 1.5" strips. Thank goodness for the walking foot. I can't imagine it would be so easy to sew these without it. Smaller pieces yes but not these larger pieces.

Hope you found time to sew this weekend.

7 comments:

  1. I have been sewing today Ann, its wet and gloomy outside so just the perfect sewing weather. Your iron is very nice. I'm like you and don't like to spend alot of money on irons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I can get 1 year out of my iron I am on a good thing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the irons! Having bought one about 6 months ago, I spent hours searching for one made in the US or anywhere but China for that matter. Couldn't be found, bought a cheap one as well. I think that the person who invented the walking foot deserves our undying gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My GD got married yesterday, so I haven't sewn much at all for the last week. But now I plan to get with it - I have 4 projects ready to quilt. 2 table runners and 2 queen size quilts. Things will be back to normal now and I plan to buckle down. I even have a "somewhat" clean and straightened up sewing room to do it in! BTW, I got a Shark brand iron a few years ago and it was somewhat pricey, but I don't remember what I paid. It has performed very well - gets nice and hot! Good work on your charity quilt! Better to sew for just a few minutes than not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Sunbeam Steam Master (also says "Drip Free"). It gets really hot and does a good job, but I never ever put water in it. Instead I have a small spray bottle with water which works great for me. I can't stand for an iron to spit out brown water on my blocks, so I just don't chance it! Of course, I always have the Magic Sizing nearby too. Your quilt is looking great! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need a new iron but... my current one works it just does not have the auto turn off working right now. Something about dropping it one too many times. It was a fairly cheap one and I'll use it till it doesn't work! Glad you found one that is working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you found an iron you like. I bought a new one a while back, about the same price and I'm happy with it so far. I just got home from a trip to the mid-west and I am anxious to get back to sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.