Sunday, October 18, 2015

refurbish


Some years ago, I made a quilt for my son who is six foot four inches tall. It was early days in my quilting journey and the design was my own - a row by row.

It was starting to show signs of being much loved - the thread around the appliqués had disintegrated as well as some of the quilting. I think I may have used ordinary machine cotton thread for that which might explain the deterioration.

There was nothing for it but to undertake some much needed repairs.


New appliqués to replace the missing ones; free motion quilting to stabilise some areas and wavy quilting in others.

That's much better!

The colour in the second image is much closer to real life. The quilt is now back in regular service. Much to the delight of said son.

The garden and plants have had a tough time coping with the weather extremes we've been having here lately. Cold, wet and windy one day; hot and dry the next.

To everyone's surprise the spring blooms have struggled through - albeit a little worse for wear.



I know the name of this one - Chameleon

You can see where the heat/sun has burnt the edges of the petals





11 comments:

  1. Love the big beautiful peach rose. Lovely! And glad that your son's quilt only needed a bit of a repair to live on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did some great repair work to your sons quilt. He will be able to cherish it for many more years. Those flowers are gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty blooms! Your repair work is wonderful. What an amazing first quilt you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent job of refurbishing your son's quilt! It's beginning to cool off a bit here, but my roses look more like the buds in your final picture, and have for several weeks, in spite of my high water usage! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good when a quilt is "well loved" and in need of repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilt-just as good as new! I can almost hear Scott say "Mum, you're the best!" Your roses are lovely in spite of the weather. I don't grow many roses as the fungus is so hard to deal with, plus our winters do not make them happy! Have a great week, and Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As they say..."A stitch in time saves nine"....love your roses

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope. It was loved so much it wore out! The best kind of quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the best kinda quilt story....a much loved quilt that perhaps has seen better days through a whole lot of love! You have fixed it up beautifully, Ann. I love those Scotty doggies. Oh I love roses and yours are glorious. Down here our roses are just beginning to bud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is so cute, I love the little dogs appliqued on. I'm glad it is back to being loved and well used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ann, I wish you the best for the new year ! I love all of your lovely comments and I always happy when I see your name at my blog. A big hug from Norway and a Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.