Sunday, May 14, 2017

green

 
It's RSC time and the colour selected for May is GREEN. Here is my block for the challenge.

It's about all the quilty-type sewing I managed to do here this weekend other than mending. Yawn.

I did head to the Southern Highlands yesterday for the Bowral Public School Market. A combination of food and crafts. Mostly, I focus on the food - sourdough breads, jams, cheeses, cakes, pastries, farm-fresh fruits and vegetables. 

Bowral Public School was built in the late 1800s and the government architecture of that era is marvellous. The same can't be said for the soulless brick and aluminium monstrosities erected in the 1970-80s.

The 1893 entrance to the school
 I do so like that sandstone feature. Across the road from the school is one of the reasons why the Southern Highlands are much visited this time of year.

The region is ablaze with the colours of autumn. This specimen is a real beauty. We are actually having an autumn this year and you can feel Winter nipping at its heels. The last of my sassanqua camellias is in full bloom.

Gratuitous garden image for Pam at Sidewalk Shoes
It's rather bleak today so I'm off to scoff the treats I bought at the markets yesterday, watch a movie and relax. Well, it is Mother's Day here.

9 comments:

  1. Your green block looks great! I love the fabrics you used!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day! Enjoy your day, the treats sound so yummy. The green block is so pretty, you will have a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day! Love the green block! It sounds like the fair was great fun-filled with yummy food! I think I've figured out why the buildings of years long gone are so much more interesting-in those days they build to IMPRESS! Sometimes function took a back seat but the grandeur of a thing was important. Later, they just built for function and economy. Sadly, grandeur was left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty GREEN block you've created for your RSC project!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful block...and one block of quilty fun is better than none! I love older architecture, too. When looking for a house, I told my realtor I wanted nothing to do with new homes in subdivisions. I don't think he really believed me until we wrote an offer 10 minutes after seeing our 100-year-old farmhouse! The character and uniqueness of older buildings is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt block is beautiful; I love that pattern! I share your feeling about architecture then and now. Glad you are enjoying the beautiful foliage and flowers before winter arrives there. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another lovely block, Ann. I LOVE Bowral. In my Sydney days it was an oft-visited destination. In total agreement re the buildings of the 70's and 80's. Give me those glorious buildings of the 1800's and early 1900's any day. Those Autumn trees are glorious, such beautiful colours. Pretty Camellia. Hope you enjoyed a lovely Mother's Day....have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading this post, green block - refreshing there is something about Green - Scoffing sounds good to me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.