Friday, May 29, 2009

Smoke and Mirrors

I know, I know....I haven't been around for a while but life has been so busy. Surprisingly, I don't seem to be achieving a great deal. Go figure.

While I'm busy trying to finish my quilt - just the binding and hanging sleeve to sew down - I thought I'd share with you a couple of quilts I made last year.

Of course, all this is designed to distract you from my unfinished Bunny Hill BOMs.

Hope it works...

Butterfly Garden - February 2008

The pattern is Flowers in the Garden by Rachel Cresp from Patchwork on the Peninsula. It was featured in Australian Patchwork & Quilting Vol.10 No.9. Rachel used naive fabrics in her quilt.

As I was working to a budget I used a variety of fabrics from my scrap collection. The centre blocks are Folded Bow Tie which can be a little tricky at first but once you get in the swing of things they come together nicely.

It was made for a work colleague's new baby.

My Pretty Whig Rose - August 2008

Now, although I have been making quilts for 15 years, this was the first time I had made a quilt for me. I like the pattern - not just because it uses fat quarters - it contains some of the very first fabrics I purchased for quilting projects. I also really like the shaped border.

The finished quilt measures 58 inches square and was designed by Carol Lewis. It featured in Australian Country Threads Vol 5 No 1.

I'm looking forward to making another quilt, just for me, later in the year.

Happy Stitching




10 comments:

  1. I love the butterfly quilt, perfect for baby :) I still haven't finished my own bed quilt yet lol its on the bed though just half stippled!!!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann the quilts are stunning. The baby gift must have just awed the new mom.

    I hope you do finish something just for you. It will be a wonderful heirloom for you to enjoy and pass down to another generation.

    Notice I did not mention the BOM
    ooops.
    have a great day,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are Lovely Quilts Ann...know what you mean about Distraction...easy done.!
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made the bow tie blocks before and they are fun to make! As you say, a bit tricky at first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both quilts are gorgeous! Maybe some day I will do more applique and make something like the Whig Rose quilt. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilts, everything you do is just lovely! Glad to hear you are enjoying your fall (or is it winter) rains. I miss soup all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilts Ann!

    I know what you mean about being busy and not seeming to achieve anything, but then baby worshipping is a great time waster!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, they are beautiful. I love them both. The bow ties and butterflies look extremely difficult to make. I would be very intimidated by a quilt pattern of that type. But you have done a wonderful job.
    It's high time that you made a quilt for yourself. In fact make 2 or 3. You deserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now where is the... ohhh what pretty quilts.

    Now what was I looking for???

    *grin*

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.