Saturday, January 9, 2016

qayg

I guess this counts as my first finish for 2016.

This is a Quilt-As-You-Go project of my own design. All fabrics used were from my stash including the backing and the wadding was leftovers from other projects.

The quilt measures 56 x 90 inches and got the seal of approval from my six foot four inch tall quilt holder (DS).

I followed instructions by Fiona at bubrugz - there are different ways to make QAYG quilts and blocks but I found Fiona's instructions easy to follow.

It was certainly the only way I could make and quilt something this size although it was a bit tricky joining the last two sections together.

What it did mean was that a machine binding was the way to go - there was no chance I could hand sew all that black.

I searched the internet and found a Youtube tutorial by GourmetQuilter . I think I liked it best because she actually demonstrates the technique on a full size quilt rather than a wall-hanging or table mat.



This quilt has been offered to BlanketLovez - a charity that donates quilts to sick kids in hospital and their families. They get a lot of baby and small children quilts and girly ones so I wanted to make one for an older teenage boy. I'm waiting to hear back from them. Fingers crossed it passes muster.




7 comments:

  1. It's excellent!! Most places get lots of little quilts and I try to make some large ones too for that reason. Yours looks wonderful and I know some teenager will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I think anyone, me included, would like to have it! Some teen is about to be lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ann, that is a beautiful quilt. Some lucky person will enjoy snuggling under that quilt. I'm going to attempt to start putting my quilted blocks together this weekend. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great Ann. I can't imagine it not passing muster! Thanks for sharing the links to QAYG, especially the demo using a large quilt. Large projects often have issues that little sampled don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some big boy is going to love that quilt! I do, for sure! I really like the way you put the blocks together. Those links are very helpful too. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilt, love the fabrics, too. That is a great quilt for a guy. I have not tried qayg but think it would be fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's going to pass muster. It's wonderful! You're off to a good start for 2016 - keep up the momentum and I'll be excited to see lots of wonderful things from you this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.